Avocado Caprese Skillet Chicken
- 2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and halved
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps CaliVirgin EVOO
- 6 ozs Fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- 4 Avacado slices (from a firm but ripe large avocado)
- 2 Medium vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tbsps CaliVirgin balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Chopped basil ribbons
In a bowl mix together garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of each chicken cutlet.
Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken (cover pan with a splatter screen if you have one) and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 - 6 minutes.
Rotate and cook opposite side until chicken has nearly cooked though, reducing burner temperature just slightly if needed, about 4 - 5 minutes (it should be nearly 160 in center on an instant read thermometer) then add two slices of mozzarella to the top each cutlet, followed by one avocado slice, and 1 - 2 tomato slices.
Cover pan with lid, return to heat and allow to cook 1 - 2 minutes longer until cheese has melted and chicken registers 165 in center.
Sprinkle chicken with pepper, drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve warm.